Hornets, coach agree to 4-year extension
Team rebuilding under new owner Benson
The New Orleans Hornets have agreed to a four-year contract extension with coach Monty Williams, the team announced late Saturday night.
The deal will keep Williams under contract with the Hornets through 2016. He had a season left on his current three-year contract, which had a team option for a fourth year.
The Hornets, who were purchased by NFL Saints owner Tom Benson three months ago, finished 21-45 last season.
Hornets basketball director Mickey Loomis, who also is the Saints' general manager, said the management has been impressed by Williams and wanted to keep him.
"He knows and we know that he's here for the long term as we develop a young team into a championship contender," Loomis told New Orleans Times-Picayune. "I've been very impressed with Monty since we purchased the team."
"I'm blessed, and I feel that way because I get to do what I love doing and I get paid for it," Williams told the Times Picayune. "I get to do it in a city that supported me from downtown to the bayou. I felt like this was a place that engulfed me and my family with support. To be able to know that you're going to be here and working and doing what I love to do just makes me feel even more blessed."
The Hornets are rebuilding since Benson's ownership solidified the team's future in New Orleans. They drafted center Anthony Davis with the No. 1 pick in the June draft and point guard Austin Rivers with the 10th overall pick. They also re-signed shooting guard Eric Gordon, who was acquired from Los Angeles Clippers in last year's Chris Paul trade, by matching an offer sheet he received from the Phoenix Suns.