It's game week for the first time this season for the defending Patriot League football champs. Lafayette opens the season on the road at Sacred Heart in Connecticut Saturday afternoon, and with some revenge on their minds. Dave Lesko has more on the Leopards.The defending Patriot League champions were picked to finish third in the preseason poll, behind Fordham and Lehigh, two teams the Leopards beat a year ago. That slight doesn't really bother Lafayette however, as they know what they're capable of accomplishing this season.
Max Ngolla - I dont care what the polls say at all. I know what we're going to be able to do. I know our team is going to be able to be on the top if we work how we work. Just like we did last year. So when I see that they put other people on top of the polls and put other teams like that, that's fine. I know we have a target on our back and I like it that way.
Dave Lesko- Saturday Lafayette opens up their 2014 campaign on the road at Sacred Heart. In last year's season opener, the Pioneers beat the Pards, 26-24 on a last second field goal Lafayette then went on to lose their next two ballgames to start the season 0-3. This year, especially with a seasoned, confident quarterback in sophomore Drew Reed, the Pards are expecting a much better result.
Max Ngolla - He trusts us, we trust him.We know when he makes those calls. We understand what he's trying to say when he's on the ball. We have so much more confidence as an offensive line knowing when we have someone back there.
Justin Adams - They're going to load the box to try and counteract Ross Schuerman and then on the outside they're going to press us a lot. They're basically going to play very simple defenses and they're going to challenge us to make big plays, and that's going to be the critical factor is can we make those big plays especially on third and long situations and when the game's on the line.
Frank Tavani - Offensively, obviously as good a running back if not maybe the best running back that we could possibly see all year, and we're going to see some good ones, but this kid is big, strong, fast.He's held all their rushing records and you've got to definitely be able to contain him.
In Easton, Dave
- Sports Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
- Sports Christian Petersen/Getty Images
- Sports Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
- Sports Cooper Neill/Getty Images
- Sports Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
- Sports Mike McGinnis/Getty Images
- Sports Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
- Sports Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
- Sports iStock/JOE CICAK
- Sports FreeImages.com/Jason Antony
- Updated Lynch set to join Raiders after trade from Seahawks
- Updated Ohio State CB Conley facing sexual assault allegations
- Alfaro powers IronPigs to win at Columbus to open road trip
- ACCHS boy's lacrosse rout Emmaus, stays unbeaten
- Season ends for Lehigh men's lacrosse in Patriot League quarterfinals