The Central Catholic boys and Liberty girls each won first round playoff games in the PIAA tournament Friday night to move on in the bracket, while the rest of the District 11 teams struggled in round one.
Central Catholic had to fight to the end against Shikellamy to earn a 50-47 win. That puts the Vikings back in the 2nd round. Muhammad-Ali Abdur Rahkman led the Vikings with 18 points in the win.
Liberty's girls got a late basket and free throw from J.J. Hilliard and that was the difference in a 40-39 win over Cardinal O'Hara.
The Bangor girls lost to Cheltenham by 2 points at the buzzer to end their season, Pleasant Valley got beat up by Council Rock South. The Wilson and Northern Lehigh boys each lost tough first round games on the road.
Pius X's season ended at the hands of the defending state champs from Philly, 75-59.
- Updated Seahawks legend Cortez Kennedy dies at 48
- Parkland and Easton set up championship rematch in girl's lacrosse
- Panthers and Lions to square off for District 11-2A championship
- Wilson WL girls make history with semifinal win over Governor Mifflin
- Kutztown baseball punches ticket to District 3 championship game