BRECKNOCK TOWNSHIP, Pa. - Drag racing returns to Maple Grove Raceway this weekend with Showdown at Sundown. Jay Blake's racing team, Permatex/Follow A Dream, is there to compete. For Jay, anytime he races at Maple Grove, it's not just another race.
Nearly 17 years ago to the day, Blake lost his sight, smell and taste following an industrial accident.
Through perseverance, positive thinking and an awakening visit to Maple Grove Raceway, Jay decided to pursue his dream of owning a professional auto-racing team. He has done just that, and then some.
Despite being blind, Blake works on his team's racing engines and embodies what it means to make vision into reality.
Not hindered by his physical setbacks, Jay Blake has become an inspiration both within the racing world and outside it. His organization, Follow A Dream, which promotes positive thinking and self-determination, reaches an estimate 2 million people.
For more on Follow A Dream, visit www.followadream.org.
The team will also unveil the new 2014 Chevy Camaro funny car body over the weekend.
- Sports Maddie Meyer/Getty Images
- Sports Christian Petersen/Getty Images
- Sports Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
- Sports Cooper Neill/Getty Images
- Sports Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
- Sports Mike McGinnis/Getty Images
- Sports Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
- Sports Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
- Sports iStock/JOE CICAK
- Sports FreeImages.com/Jason Antony