^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- NFL looking into why footballs were deflated
- NFLPA files grievance over conduct policy
- Cowboys expected to restructure Romo's deal again
- Independent staff to handle Super Bowl footballs
- Tom Brady weighs in on 'Deflategate'
- Report: Manning wants to return
- NFL sportsmanship award named for Rooney
- Luck goes No. 1 in Pro Bowl draft
- Bucs QB paid to have Super Bowl balls altered
Penn State Football
- Penguins' Crosby out of All-Star Game
- Report: Wild, Avalanche to host outdoor games next season
- NHL game roundup: Blackhawks hand Pens another loss
- NHL game roundup: Isles move to top of East
- Rangers' Staal agrees to six-year extension
- NHL game roundup: Stars top Blackhawks
- Brodeur leaves Blues for a week
- NHL game roundup: Habs' power surge sinks Jackets
- Foligno, Toews named All-Star captains
- NBA roundup: Cavaliers win sixth straight
- Curry tops James in All-Star voting
- Lakers' Bryant suffers torn rotator cuff
- Ariana Grande to peform at NBA All-Star Game
- NBA game roundup: Thunder edge Wizards in OT
- 'Irritated' Rose calls out Bulls
- NBA game roundup: Knicks end 16-game skid
- Report: Retiring has crossed Bryant's mind
- NBA game roundup: Evans, Pelicans tip Raptors
- Banks died after suffering heart attack
- Phillies in talks to trade Papelbon to Brewers
- MLB notebook: Hall inductees to represent Astros, Red Sox, Braves
- Yankees' Rodriguez working out with Bonds
- Aoki finalizes one-year deal with Giants
- Nationals, Scherzer agree to 7-year contract
- Reports: Brewers will trade Gallardo to Rangers
- Chicago Cubs confirm early-season bleacher seat closures
- Ricky Bottalico headlines guests at Reading Hot Stovers Banquet