^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Raiders owner Davis blames A's for stadium mess
- RB Forte says goodbye to Bears
- Browns LT Thomas: 'Sad end' for Manziel in Cleveland
- Source: Bills player McCoy suspect in bar fight
- Suspension of Bengals LB Burfict upheld
- Bills' McCoy could face charges soon
- Irsay: Colts QB Luck's contract will be 'shocking number'
- Report: Browns QB Manziel 'hung over' at meeting
- Elway: No pressure on Manning to make decision
- Eagles introduce Doug Pederson as head coach
- Eagles introduce Pederson as head coach
- Reports: Doug Pederson to be Eagles' new head coach
- 49ers hire Chip Kelly to be their new head coach
Penn State Football
- Georgia holds off Penn State to take TaxSlayer Bowl
- Penn State welcomes physical test presented by Georgia
- Barkley, Penn State fresh entering bowl game
- Nittany Lions gearing up for tough test against Georgia
- NHL notebook: D Murray agrees to extension with Jackets
- Chicago to host 2017 NHL draft
- Penguins C Malkin remains out
- Maple Leafs deal D Phaneuf to Senators in 9-player trade
- Jets sign D Byfuglien to 5-year extension
- Bruins prospect Subban fractures larynx
- NHL notebook: Bruins activate G Gustavsson
- NHL notebook: Wideman draws 20-game suspension
- Former US hockey coach Riley dies at 95
- NHL roundup: Ducks clip Blackhawks in OT
- Ducks 3, Blackhawks 2 (OT)
- NHL roundup: Devils top Flyers in OT
- Flyers D Del Zotto could be out for 'long term'
- Wolves' Towns wins NBA skills challenge
- All-Star Game Preview: Western Conference at Eastern Conference
- Stephen Curry on NBA wins record: 'You've got to go for it'
- Shaq, Iverson headline Hall of Fame finalists
- Warriors, Thompson will go for 73, hope for KD
- NBA adds emojis for All-Star MVP voting
- Report: Rockets look to deal Howard
- Announcer: Saskatchewan named for sasquatches
- Wife of Thunder assistant Williams dies after crash
- Chapman, Yankees settle to avoid arbitration
- Tigers, OF Martinez finalize $18.5M, 2-year deal
- Tanaka throws off mound
- Diamondbacks, CF Pollock agree on 2-year deal
- Report: 3B Donaldson agrees to deal with Blue Jays
- Delmon Young arrested on battery charge
- Report: Arrieta, Cubs agree to $10.7 million deal
- Yankees 1B Bird will miss 2016 season
- Dodgers' Scully wants to finish career with road series