^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Game roundup: Angels clinch AL West title
- MLB suspends umpire West one game
- Marlins likely to announce that Stanton out for season
- Red Sox's Castillo to make major-league debut Wednesday
- Rays beat angry Yankees 6-1 after Jeter gets hit
- Flores homers twice in Mets 9-1 win over Marlins
- Morton pitches surging Pirates over Red Sox 4-0
- Amarista's homer lifts Padres over Phillies 5-4
- Game roundup: Nationals, Orioles clinch divisions
- Timberwolves sign F Robinson III
- Lakers hire assistant coaches
- Hawks CEO admits systemic issues on race
- Atlanta Hawks GM on 'indefinite leave'
- Ferry's remarks heard on audio recording
- Report: Kobe back in Germany for knee procedure
- Pacers' George apologizes for Rice tweets
- Warriors extend West's contract
- Hawks re-sign Brand
- Wild lose G Harding indefinitely to injury
- Sharks sign Braun to 5-year extension
- Red Wings, D DeKeyser agree on two-year deal
- Holmgren, Daly named Lester Patrick winners
- Devils sign D Gelinas
- Oilers sign F Chase
- NHL roundup: League announces rule changes
- Rangers agree to deal with Moore
- Ducks give Boudreau 2-year extension
- NFL enduring off-field PR nightmares
- Panthers' Greg Hardy takes voluntary leave
- Legal issues to keep Peterson off the field
- NFL, NFLPA finalize new PED policy
- Another NFL player facing charges related to domestic violence
- NFL players' union files Ray Rice appeal
- Gordon pleads quilty to DWI
- Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson
- Rice wants Goodell recusal upon appeal