^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Pirates get late break in playoff push, top Red Sox
- Jeter homers as Yankees beat Blue Jays 3-2
- Kendrick struggles in Phillies' 7-3 loss to Padres
- Game roundup: Cardinals beat Brewers in 13 innings
- Ex-Rangers skipper Washington admits to cheating on wife
- Hamels dominates Padres again in Phillies 5-2 win
- Game roundup: Angels clinch AL West title
- MLB suspends umpire West one game
- Marlins likely to announce that Stanton out for season
- NBA roundup: Kings deal Terry to Rockets
- Timberwolves sign F Robinson III
- Lakers hire assistant coaches
- Hawks CEO admits systemic issues on race
- Atlanta Hawks GM on 'indefinite leave'
- Ferry's remarks heard on audio recording
- Report: Kobe back in Germany for knee procedure
- Pacers' George apologizes for Rice tweets
- Warriors extend West's contract
- Crosby, Malkin out for start of camp
- Wild lose G Harding indefinitely to injury
- Sharks sign Braun to 5-year extension
- Red Wings, D DeKeyser agree on two-year deal
- Holmgren, Daly named Lester Patrick winners
- Devils sign D Gelinas
- Oilers sign F Chase
- NHL roundup: League announces rule changes
- Rangers agree to deal with Moore
- NFL's Goodell: 'We'll get our house in order'
- Thousands line up to exchange Rice jerseys
- NFL partners with National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Hester, Falcons humiliate Bucs
- Kutztown Naming football stadium after Andre Reed
- NFL enduring off-field PR nightmares
- NFL player posts bond in domestic abuse case
- Panthers' Greg Hardy takes voluntary leave
- Legal issues to keep Peterson off the field