^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Cowboys come back against Giants 31-28
- Eagles pull away from Titans for bounce back win
- Boldin leads Niners over Redskins
- Chargers hold off Rams
- Seahawks stymie NFC West-leading Cardinals
- Eagles beat Titans, look ahead to Cowboys
- Patriots crush Lions for seventh straight win
- Hoyer leads last-minute drive in win over Falcons
- Bears overcome slow start to beat Buccaneers
Penn State Football
- Stars sign Spezza to 4-year extension
- NHL game roundup: Zucker lifts Wild over Flyers
- NHL roundup: Penguins' Dupuis has blood clot
- Penguins' Dupuis has blood clot in lung
- League to scrap ice scrape before OT
- NHL game roundup: Pens blank Habs in Eastern clash
- NHL commissioner: No expansion vote yet
- Roundup: Wild survive Jets' comeback attempt
- NHL game roundup: Kings edge Ducks in OT
- NBA game roundup: Raptors remain atop conference
- Kings put together statement win over Bulls
- Lakers stun Rockets with late rally
- NBA game roundup: Spurs hold off Cavs
- Hornets' Taylor suspended for 24 games
- Collins, first openly gay player, to retire
- Howard investigated on child abuse allegations
- NBA game roundup: Bryant, Lakers down Hawks
- NBA roundup: Knicks end 7-game losing skid
- Report: Red Sox offered Sandoval $95 million
- White Sox snag free-agent 1B LaRoche
- Dodgers acquire Rays reliever Peralta
- Stanton: $325M contract 'toughest decision of my life'
- Report: Red Sox make offer to Lester
- Reports: A's agree to deal with DH Butler
- Blue Jays, Martin agree to $82 million deal
- Braves send Heyward to Cards in 4-player trade
- Report: Stanton, Marlins agree to record $325M deal