^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Neutral arbitrator will hear Rice's appeal
- Raiders confirm Dennis Allen fired
- Chiefs demolish Patriots on 'MNF'
- Eagles activate Lane Johnson
- Bills bench Manuel; Orton to start
- Cowboys CB Claiborne out for season
- Report about Raiders firing Allen is retracted
- Romo, Murray lead Cowboys over Saints
- Rookie QB leads Vikings over Falcons
Penn State Football
- Avs sign McLeod, Stuart to extensions
- Crosby to miss Saturday's game
- Blues' Schwartz signs two-year deal
- Blues sign D Sergeev
- Hurricanes' Staal has successful leg surgery
- Predators sign D Ellis to 5-year deal
- NHL roundup: Rangers' Stepan breaks leg in practice
- Rangers' Stepan suffers fractured fibula
- Red Wings' Datsyuk injures shoulder
- LeBron "nowhere near" decision on 2016 Olympics
- Rondo insists injury came during fall at home
- Suns sign Morris twins to extensions
- Slimmed-down James 'feels good' to be back
- Deng forgives Ferry for comments
- Heat's McRoberts recovering from toe surgery
- Rockets sign F Mitchell
- Cavs obrtain Bogans in trade
- Hornets' Taylor arrested on assault charges
- Yankees' Jeter finishes career with win in Boston
- MLB postseason begins Tuesday in Kansas City
- Zimmermann no-hits Marlins in finale
- Pirates rip Braves 10-1, cut Cards' lead to 1 game
- Jeter gives Yankees walk-off win in home finale
- Phillies blow lead and lose to Marlins, 6-4
- Game roundup: Giants clinch spot in wild-card game
- Mets' Wright has ligament damage in shoulder
- Kendrick, Papelbon help Phils beat Miami 2-1