^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Rice says sees why people commit suicide
- Vikings' Peterson: Ruling 'brings me one step closer'
- Falcons release RB Jackson
- Vikings RB Peterson wins appeal
- Broncos, Manning pursue restructured contract
- NFL notebook: Bush, Jones, Hawk among cuts
- NFL stadium plan near L.A. gets council OK
- NFL notebook: Broncos could lose TE Thomas in free agency
- Seattle S Thomas to have shoulder surgery
Penn State Football
- NHL roundup: Jagr scores as Panthers outlast Lightning
- Jackets trade Horton to Leafs for Clarkson
- NHL roundup: Crawford, Blackhawks blank Panthers
- NHL game roundup: Pens edge Caps, avoid season sweep
- Blackhawks' Kane on IR, out 6-10 weeks
- NHL roundup: Isles beat Coyotes, continue to roll
- Ducks score three in third, beat Wings in shootout
- Devils' Schneider shuts out Coyotes
- Report: Canucks G Miller could miss 4-6 weeks
- NBA roundup: Warriors rally from 26-point deficit
- Ex-Knick Mason dies at 48
- Federer beats Djokovic to win Dubai title
- NBA pioneer Earl Lloyd dies at 86
- NBA notebook: Rose will have surgery Friday
- NBA game roundup: Hawks win NBA-best 26th home game
- Bulls G Rose to undergo right knee surgery
- NBA game roundup: Thunder roll behind Westbrook triple-double
- NBA game roundup: Pelicans rally in final seconds
- Fightin Phils pitcher puts hailstorm, concussion behind him
- MLB notebook: Minnie Minoso dies
- Rodriguez enjoys first day in Yankees' camp
- MLB notebook: Brewers bring back K-Rod
- Report: Angels' Hamilton admits drug relapse
- Aaron wants Rodriguez to do well with Yankees
- MLB notebook: 'I've paid a price,' Rodriguez says
- MLB commish would consider 154-game season
- Red Sox land Cuban prospect Moncada