^By AARON BRACY=
PHILADELPHIA (AP) _ Cole Hamels pitched eight strong innings and Chase Utley had an RBI single to lift the Philadelphia Phillies to a 2-1 victory over the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.
Hamels (5-5) got the better of Tim Hudson in a matchup between starters who have combined for seven All-Star appearances. The Philadelphia left-hander gave up six hits while striking out 10 and walking one.
Hudson (8-7) gave up two runs in six innings although both were unearned. The right-hander struck out six and walked two.
The Giants, who were looking for their first four-game sweep in Philadelphia since 1998, lost for just the second time in eight games. San Francisco's lead over the idle Dodgers in the NL West dropped to 1 1/2 games entering this weekend's three-game series between the rivals at AT&T Park.
Phillies avoid sweep, beat Giants 2-1
^By AARON BRACY=
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Redskins pick up option on RGIII
- As draft nears, plenty of vets could be traded
- NFL notebook: Giants' Manning not concerned about extension
- LA stadium proposals excite Goodell
- Cowboys' Hardy in altercation with teammate
- NFL notebook: Patriots honored by Obama at White House
- Cowboys' Romo promises: 'We're going to win a Super Bowl next year'
- Judge OKs NFL concussion lawsuit settlement
- NFL suspends Greg Hardy for 10 games
Penn State Football
- Crawford gets start in goal vs. Wild
- Canadiens close out Senators with 2-0 victory
- Wild beats Blues 4-1 to advance
- Predators D Weber out for rest of series
- NHL roundup: Lightning storm back in Detroit
- Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews named Selke finalists
- NHL roundup: Ducks sweep Jets to advance
- NHL roundup: Blackhawks win marathon game vs. Predators
- Las Vegas ticket drive expected to top 11,000
- Report: Love to miss at least two weeks
- NBA roundup: Cavs, Wizards complete sweeps
- NBA roundup: Warriors, Bulls work OT for wins
- Spurs' Leonard nabs Defensive Player of Year honors
- NBA roundup: Spurs even series with Clippers
- Thunder fire Brooks after missing playoffs
- NBA to play first exhibition game in Africa
- NBA roundup: Wizards win at Toronto again
- Cavs' James tunes out world during playoffs
- Report: Rangers would pay minimal price in trade for Hamilton
- Little fanfare surrounding A-Rod's milestone chase
- MLB roundup: Cubs beat Reds to continue solid start
- Severino Gonzalez to make MLB debut on Tuesday
- Six suspended in Royals-White Sox brawl
- Report: Angels could part with Hamilton in days
- 5 tossed after Royals-White Sox skirmish
- Tigers' Nathan vows to return from elbow surgery
- MLB roundup: Mets win 11th straight