Bucks Co - US-1 Bridge Project at Rt 213 in Middletown Twp
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) today announced that construction will begin Monday (Feb. 20) on a $15.8 million project to reconstruct the Route 1 Bridge over Route 213 and the ramps at the Route 1/Route 213 Interchange in Middletown Township, Bucks County. Construction will last until Oct. 2014.
Crews will work over the next two weeks to install erosion control measures and remove trees along northbound and southbound Route 1 between the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Interstate 95 interchanges. There will be no traffic impacts during this operation.
Beginning March 5, the right travel lane on the Route 1 Bridge will be closed in both directions weeknights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. for shoulder reconstruction and widening. The ramps at Route 213 will also be restricted. This operation is expected to finish in late March.
Under this improvement project, crews will replace the existing three-span, pre-stressed box beam bridge with a new single-span, pre-stressed concrete beam structure. They also will rebuild and realign the Route 1 ramps to Route 213; resurface the roadway approaches and ramps; install glare screens on the median barrier; erect overhead sign structures; install new signs, pavement markers and guide rail; and upgrade drainage systems.
The purpose of this project will result in the Route 1 Bridge over Route 213 will be raised from 14 feet to 16 feet, lengthening the ramps and increase capacity on the Route 1 North off-ramp to Route 213 (Old Lincoln Highway).
Starting in late March, crews will install concrete barriers on northbound and southbound Route 1 as crews reconstruct the bridge and ramps in five stages.
The traffic pattern shifts during each stage are:
• Stage 1 – Close shoulders on Route 1 and ramps for temporary roadway widening and reconstruction.
• Stage 2 – Shift southbound Route 1 traffic to the northbound side and maintain two travel lanes in each direction on the northbound side of the highway.
• Stage 3 – Shift southbound traffic to the reconstructed southbound lanes; northbound traffic remains on the northbound side of the highway. Reconstruct the southbound lanes and median.
• Stage 4 – Shift northbound traffic to southbound Route 1. Reconstruct and widen the northbound side of the highway and ramps.
• Stage 5 – Shift northbound traffic back to the northbound side of Route 1. Reconstruct the median and install final pavement markings.
Route 1 motorists will face long-term traffic pattern shifts to maintain two travel lanes in each direction between the hours of 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. Nighttime lane closures and detours will be in place overnight on Route 1 and Route 213 from 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. The speed limit on Route 1 will be reduced from 55 miles per hour to 40 miles per hour in the construction zone.
J.D. Eckman of Atglen, Pa., is the general contractor on the $15,817,676 project that is funded with 100 percent federal funds.
This project is the first of four to improve six miles of Route 1 between I-95 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Langhorne Manor Borough, Bensalem and Middletown townships, Bucks County. The three additional projects are:
- The rebuilding of 1.3 miles of Route 1 between Old Lincoln Highway and the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bensalem Township. The plan includes reconstructing and widening Route 1 to three travel lanes in each direction; reconstructing of the ramps at the Route 1/Route 132 (Street Road) Interchange; replacing three structurally-deficient Route 1 bridges and the Bristol Road Bridge over Route 1. This project is currently in final design.
- The rebuilding of 1.5 miles of Route 1 between the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Business Route 1 (Old Lincoln Highway) in Bensalem and Middletown townships. The plan includes reconstructing and widening Route 1 to three travel lanes in each direction; and replacing of three structurally deficient bridges. The project is currently in final design.
- The rebuilding of 2.1 miles of Route 1 between Business Route 1 (Old Lincoln Highway) and Route 413 in Middletown Township and Langhorne Manor Borough. The plan includes reconstructing and widening Route 1 to provide right shoulders; and rehabilitating a structurally deficient bridge on Route 1. The project is currently in final design.
PennDOT reminds motorists they can log on to www.511pa.com or call 511 from any phone to check traffic conditions on major highways before heading out.
Follow local PennDOT information on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us/district6or call 610.205.6700.