The heat is on, and officials want you to take the heat advisories seriously.
Temperatures are forecast in the 90s for the next few days, with heat index values making it feel closer to 100 degrees.
The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are possible.
To ensure your safety, and the safety of those around you, make sure you're in a place with air conditioning, whether it's a shopping mall, library or cooling center.
Cooling centers have been established around the area:
- Berks Encore's center at 40 N. 9th St. in Reading will be open from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. through Friday. Call 610-374-3195.
- The Family First Resource Center at 416 S. 7th St. in Reading will be open from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. through Friday. Call 610-372-7488.
- The Center at Spring Street in Boyertown will be open from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. through Friday. Call 610-367-2313.
- Casa de la Amistad at 501 Washington St. in Reading will be open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. through Friday. Call 610-685-1284.
- Robeson Lutheran Church, Mohnton: Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. – noon.
- Frieden’s Lutheran Church, Oley: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Strausstown Community Campus (formerly Strausstown Elementary School), lower level: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Keystone Villa at Fleetwood, Blandon: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Except as noted, Monday through Friday (July 15-19), the following senior centers will be open from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. and on Sat., July 20 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Ben Wilson Senior Center,* 580 Delmont Ave., Warminster, Pa. 18974. Phone: 215-672-8380. Closed Thurs. and Fri., July 18 and 19 / open Sat., July 20 until 3:30 p.m.
- Bristol Borough Area Active Adult Center, 301 Wood St., Bristol, Pa. 19007. Phone: 215-788-9238
- Bristol Township Senior Center, 2501 Bath Rd., Bristol, Pa. 19007. Phone: 215-785-6322.
- Pennridge Senior Center,* 146 E. Main St., Silverdale, Pa. 18944 Phone: 215-453-7027. Open Mon. - Fri. until 6 p.m / no hours Sat., July 20.
Fans may be available through the AAA for senior residents of Bucks County (age 60+) who do not have a fan or air conditioner. The elderly also may call 267-880-5700 for help during this period of extreme heat.
The Lehigh County Senior Center, located at 1633 Elm St. in Allentown, is open from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. most days. 610-437-3700.
Most of the Senior Adult Activity Centers (SAACs) are air-conditioned, as are malls and libraries.
The Montgomery County Human Services Center, at Fornance and DeKalb Streets in Norristown, will also be a cooling site during a Code Red Heat Emergency for residents who cannot access other sites.
During the day, homeless residents can escape the heat at:
- Coordinated Homeless Outreach Center (CHOC) on the Norristown State Hospital grounds (610-292-9244),
- Norristown Ministry’s Hospitality Center (610-277-1321) during their hours of operation
- Norristown office of the Salvation Army (610-275-4183)
- Pottstown office of the Salvation Army (610-326-1621)
Salvation Army, 1110 Northampton Street, Easton, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 610-258-9531
Boys & Girls Club of Easton, 210 Jones Houston Way, 9am-5pm Monday-Friday, 484-239-2075 (PLEASE CALL AHEAD)
Pen Argyl Borough is opening the Weona Park Community Center on Route 512 at Weona Park as a cooling center Thursday and Friday from 12-4 p.m. Residents age 60 and older who need a place to keep cool are welcome to come and relax in the center.
Hunterdon County, N.J. has identified several cooling centers where residents can go to beat the heat:
- Hunterdon County Library – Main Campus, 314 State Route 12, Bldg #3, Flemington, N.J. 08822. 908-788-1444
- Hunterdon County Library – North Campus, 65 Halstead St, Clinton, N.J. 08809. 908-730-6262
- Hunterdon County Library – South Campus, 1432 Route 179, Unit B1, Lambertville, N.J. 08530. 609-773-0032
Municipal supported cooling centers in Hunterdon Co.