In order for a winter storm to develop you have to have three basic ingredients.
First you have to have below-freezing temperatures in the clouds and near the ground to make snow and/or ice.
Next is lift to raise up the moist air to form the clouds and cause precipitation. With this lift the warm air is colliding with cold air and being forced to rise over the cold dome, creating a boundary known as a "front" where the clouds will develop.
Finally you have to have moisture that can be lifted to form the clouds and precipitation.
Once all three of these components come together a winter storm has been created.
- - Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- - Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- - Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- - Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- - Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- - NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- - 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- - Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- - Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- - Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos