SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. - Police have apprehended a man who climbed a roller coaster that was swept into the ocean during Superstorm Sandy and unfurled an American flag. [ VIDEO ]
The man walked from the top of the coaster and hopped into a police boat Tuesday. He was handcuffed, walked through the surf and escorted to a police car on the beach in Seaside Heights, N.J.
Christopher Angelo told News 12-New Jersey he wanted to raise awareness for shore recovery.
His mother said the 38-year-old lives at his grandmother's home in Lavallette. Diane Angelo said her son is a bit of a daredevil.
The remnants of the Jet Star Roller Coaster have become one of the iconic images of the storm.
- - Police: Allentown man killed by woman driving drunk
- - Mom charged in adopted teen's death was adoption supervisor
- - Delaware Riverkeeper Network, PennDOT clash over bridge replacement plan
- - SUV crashes into pole in Pottstown, causes power outage
- - VIDEO: Hundreds come together to honor Grace Packer
This may cause some temporary disruption of the cameras in this livestream.