The blue jet appears as a blue column of light that is project from the top of the cumulonimbus above a thunderstorm.
It is typically in a narrow cone to the lowest levels of the ionosphere 25 miles (40 km) to 50 miles (80 km) above the earth.
They were first recorded on October 21, 1989, on a video taken from the space shuttle as it passed over Australia, and then extensively documented in 1994 during aircraft research flights by the University of Alaska.
What exactly causes blue jets is not known.
- - Police called to shooting in Allentown, 1 person taken to hospital
- - Allentown man waives preliminary hearing in police chase case
- - Bethlehem amends business privilege tax regulations
- - Easton looks for a new look in its iconic bugler soldier logo
- - LVPC Planners discuss regional development 'weaknesses'