Air at the equator is warmed by the direct rays of the sun while air at the poles is cooled because the suns rays are not so direct.
As air warms, it expands and becomes less dense therefore rises, similarly but vice versa for cool air.
This causes a pressure difference between the poles and equator causing cool winds to blow away from the poles close to the ground and warm air to move away from the equator at high altitudes, therefore a circular motion is created.
This circular motion along with the earth spinning causes a lateral forces and resulting in the winds to move around the earth rather than directly between the poles and equator, as a result the winds spin.
In the northern hemisphere, low pressure systems have winds spinning around them in an anticlockwise direction and high pressure systems in a clockwise direction but in the southern hemisphere it is the opposite.
- - Police say pot complaint leads officers to felon hiding gun
- - Allentown man found with three pounds of marijuana in car
- - Man pleads guilty in Stockertown gun club case
- - Bethlehem police officer charged with indecent exposure accepted into rehab program
- - Hazmat situation reported in Northampton County
- - Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- - Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- - Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- - Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- - Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- - NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- - 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- - Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- - Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- - Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos