When the ground is too saturated to absorb the water that is on the surface, flooding starts to occur because the water has nowhere to go.
Therefore it piles up on the ground causing hazardous conditions for anything that is in its path.
A flood can result from several days of heavy rain, snow-melts, hurricanes or a tsunami.
With heavy rain or lots of snow-melt, rivers can overflow their banks. However, hurricanes and tsunamis bring large amounts of water from the ocean on land.
- - Company president stores hazardous waste, faces charges
- - PHOTOS: Truck's trailer fails to clear railroad overpass
- - Police event makes wish come true for boy battling cancer
- - Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- - Police need public's help to find alleged QNB bank robber
- - 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- - Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- - 58-year-old pizza delivery driver in critical condition
- - Pizza delivery driver shot at East Stroudsburg University
- - Police investigate early-morning shooting at East Stroudsburg University