On a warm summer day along the coast, this differential heating of land and sea leads to the development of local winds called sea breezes.
As air above the land's surface is heated by radiation from the Sun, it expands and begins to rise becoming lighter than the surrounding air.
To replace the rising air, cooler air is drawn in from above the surface of the sea causing a cool pleasant breeze.
The sea breeze can offer a nice cooling influence on hot summer afternoons.
- - Company president stores hazardous waste, faces charges
- - PHOTOS: Truck's trailer fails to clear railroad overpass
- - Police event makes wish come true for boy battling cancer
- - Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- - Police need public's help to find alleged QNB bank robber
- - 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- - Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- - 58-year-old pizza delivery driver in critical condition
- - Pizza delivery driver shot at East Stroudsburg University
- - Police investigate early-morning shooting at East Stroudsburg University