A volcano is a mountain that opens downward to a pool of molten rock below the surface of the earth.
When pressure builds up an eruptions of the volcano occurs.
Gases and rock shoot up through the opening and spill over or fill the air with lava fragments.
Eruptions can cause lateral blasts, lava flows, hot ash flows, mudslides, avalanches, falling ash and floods.
Volcano eruptions have been known to knock down entire forests.
An erupting volcano can trigger tsunamis, flash floods, earthquakes, mudflows and rockfalls.
- - Lehigh Valley opens weekend with 5-3 setback at Springfield
- - District 11 Wrestling: AAA and AA quarterfinal recap
- - Becahi, Salisbury boys advance to District 11 semifinals
- - Allentown's Police Athletic League keeping kids on the right track
- - Safe travels, Ed: A new generation honors the Greatest
- - NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- - 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- - Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- - Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- - Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos