For our viewing area a Winter Storm Advisory or Watch is issued when the conditions are favorable for hazardous winter weather to occur.
The difference between an advisory and watch is timing.
Advisories are often issued 36 hours before the storm is expected to arrive.
Watches are usually issued in the 36 to 6 hours prior to a storms arrival.
Winter Storm Warnings are issued when the storm seems likely and is within 6 hours of arrival.
The criteria for a Winter Storm vary across the country.
- - Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- - Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- - Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- - Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- - Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- - NPS to close River Rd. in Middle Smithfield to protect migrating amphibians
- - 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- - Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- - Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- - Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos