Acid rain is rain, snow or fog that is polluted by acid in the atmosphere and damages the environment.
The two common air pollutants that acidify rain are sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide.
When these substances are released into the atmosphere, they can be carried over long distances by prevailing winds before returning to earth as acidic rain, snow, fog or dust.
When the environment cannot neutralize the acid being deposited, damage occurs.
- - Driver killed after electrical beam falls on vehicles in Lehigh Tunnel
- - Allentown Council OKs more off-campus housing in West End
- - Spring-Ford girls get the better of Boyertown in District I game
- - DeSales to play for both conference titles; Moravian men advance to finals
- - Nazareth, Emmaus boys advance to District 11-6A quarterfinals
- - Pa. Turnpike lanes reopened between Lansdale, Quakertown
- - Crash closes Pa. Turnpike northbound between Lansdale, Quakertown
- - GOP leaders to seek halt to Pennsylvania congressional map
- - Proposed bill allows courts to seize guns from people deemed a threat
- - Second Harvest Food Bank receives $36K donation