A Doppler Radar detects precipitation intensity, wind direction and speed, and provides estimates of hail size and rainfall amounts.
With this tool forecasters are given the capability of providing early detection of severe thunderstorms that may bring strong damaging winds, large hail, heavy rain, and possibly tornadoes.
Combined with satellites, radar provides meteorologists the ultimate tools to create more accurate forecasts and advanced severe weather warnings.
- - Bethlehem zoners partially deny new Nitschmann Middle School signage request
- - First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA
- - Crews rescue woman from Allentown fire
- - Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- - Southern Lehigh edges past Palisades on walk-off suicide squeeze