A Doppler Radar detects precipitation intensity, wind direction and speed, and provides estimates of hail size and rainfall amounts.
With this tool forecasters are given the capability of providing early detection of severe thunderstorms that may bring strong damaging winds, large hail, heavy rain, and possibly tornadoes.
Combined with satellites, radar provides meteorologists the ultimate tools to create more accurate forecasts and advanced severe weather warnings.
- - Company president stores hazardous waste, faces charges
- - PHOTOS: Truck's trailer fails to clear railroad overpass
- - Police event makes wish come true for boy battling cancer
- - Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- - Police need public's help to find alleged QNB bank robber
- - Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- - 58-year-old pizza delivery driver in critical condition
- - Pizza delivery driver shot at East Stroudsburg University
- - Police investigate early-morning shooting at East Stroudsburg University
- - Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf lights Capitol Christmas tree
|Record||66°F December 11, 1911||-2°F December 11, 1958|