There are two physical differences between Low pressure systems and High pressure systems.
First, is the circulation surrounding them.
Secondly, is the atmospheric motion that they cause.
Low pressure systems circulate counter-clockwise.
High pressure systems circulate clockwise.
These "motions" (caused by these circulations) are the building blocks in our atmosphere. They give us our weather.
A Low?s counter-clockwise circulation forces air upward (ultimately resulting in condensation, cloud formation and ultimately precipitation).
A High?s clockwise circulation causes a sinking motion in the atmosphere, resulting in fair/clearer and often sunnier skies.
- - Former Lehigh County judge nominated for Allentown solicitor
- - Bucks woman gets prison for DUI crash that killed Allentown man
- - Democratic candidates give views on single-payer health care
- - Northampton borough tables rentals ordinance
- - Changes to Da Vinci Center project prompt questions from county
- - Local corporations raise funds with United Way campaign
- - New distribution center in Tobyhanna Twp. to create 80 jobs
- - Police: Winery owners unlawfully recorded customers, employees
- - Police: Owners of local winery record employees, customers without permission
- - Businesses shovel out after snow blankets the Poconos