A Tornado Watch is issued to let people know to be on the lookout for a possible tornado in the area whereas a Tornado Warning is a notification that a tornado has been seen or picked up by radar.
A Tornado Watch is issued to alert people to the possibility of a tornado developing in your area. At this point, a tornado has not been seen but the conditions are very favorable for tornados to occur at any moment.
Things to do when a Tornado Watch is issued:
Keep alert and watch for changing weather conditions Listen to your local news reports & weather updates Review your family or business emergency preparedness plan Review your disaster kit Be ready to seek shelter at a moments notice What to Watch for during a Tornado Watch: Dark greenish or orange-gray skies Large hail Large, dark, low-lying, rotating or funnel-shaped clouds A loud roar that is similar to a freight train
A Tornado Warning is issued when a tornado has actually been sighted or has been picked up on radar in your area. This means that you need to take shelter immediately in a safe sturdy structure.
Things to do when a Tornado Warning is issued:
Take shelter immediately Listen to your local radio for updates Follow the National Weather Service Safety Guidelines (below) What not to do during a tornado: Do not stay in a Mobile home as they offer very little protection from tornadoes. Do not open the windows in your home or business Do not try to outrun a tornado in a car Do not get under a highway overpass or bridge as you will be exposing yourself to flying debris and stronger winds.
- - Police investigating after raised dump truck crashes into Route 33 overpass
- - Woman injured in Allentown shooting
- - Volunteers work to beautify downtown Allentown playground
- - Boy with heart condition leads Lehigh Valley Heart Walk
- - Hundreds light up the night at the annual Leukemia and Lymphoma Society walk
- - Man with arrest warrant for alleged sexual assault of minors seen in Solebury Township
- - More than 600 volunteers pick up litter in Pottstown CARES event
- - Obama visits Philadelphia, touts 'blue wave'
- - Perkasie man facing charges of hindering prosecution, tampering evidence
- - Bucks County offers free flu shots to county residents
- - Police asking for public's help in investigation into fatal Stroud Township crash
- - East Stroudsburg University partners with tribal nation
- - Shawn Christy's mother speaks out on son's capture
- - Boyfriend facing homicide charge in connection with fatal pedestrian crash
- - East Stroudsburg man accused of sexually assaulting 4-year-old
|Record||96°F September 23, 1914||36°F September 23, 1974|