Playtime is lots of fun for your young child, but it could also be an opportunity to improve their math skills.
Spatial skills, or the ability to describe where objects are in relationship to other things, have long been proven to enhance a child’s math abilities. But how exactly do these early math skills translate to higher math achievement and learning?
Researchers at Boston College and the University of Connecticut tested 138 first-grade girls on arithmetic, verbal and spatial skills. Then in fifth grade, they tested them on math reasoning.
Researchers found that children who had strong spatial skills in first grade were more likely to perform better on the assessment of math reasoning in fifth grade.
Furthermore, they found that a specific arithmetic strategy led to higher math reasoning skills four years later. It’s called decomposition, breaking down a harder problem into easier math facts.
The research suggests play that involves the child holding and rotating spatial images in their head is one of the best ways to develop spatial skills. So parents, encourage your child to play with blocks or puzzles which emphasize how pieces can rotate and fit together.
About three-quarters of the girls in the study had mothers with a college or graduate degree.
New research suggests that even a small amount of lead in the blood can...Read More »
When it’s time to read to your child, do you go old school or do you and...Read More »
- Lehigh Valley Emotions flare at Allentown City Council meeting
- Lehigh Valley People find ways to cool off as stretch of hot, humid weather begins
- Berks Berks residents swim, kayak through latest flood
- Berks Blue Marsh Lake visitors warned to watch for harmful algae
- Lehigh Valley Chemical powder used in dye prompted hazmat situation, evacuations in Allentown
- Berks Animal Rescue League enacts 'Code Red' for pets in Reading
- Updated Weather Showers, not quite as hot Thursday before oppressive heat, humidity through the weekend
- Lehigh Valley South Whitehall Township Commissioners support storage facility sketch plan
- 7 steps to a healthier heart
- Red wine antioxidant may help astronauts
- House lawmakers unite to kill Obamacare provision
- Bison meat recalled after 21 people get sick in E. coli outbreak
- Instagram doubles down on test to hide likes
- Health Beat: Girl's fight for healthcare coverage
- Dutch airline under fire for asking breastfeeding mom to cover up
- Nearly 90 hummus products recalled over listeria concerns
- WHO: Ebola outbreak in Congo declared global health emergency