Parents are always looking for ways to make their kids smarter. But did you know simply talking to them could make a big difference?
The average person says more than 15,000 words a day! Now a new study suggests the more you talk to your kids, the better. Scientists followed 107 preschool-aged children and their families. They had kids wear custom-made digital recorders that were fitted into their clothes. For three full days, software was used to extract and calculate the total number of adult words that were used.
Results showed children who were exposed to more adult conversation throughout the day had better cognitive skills. They demonstrated superior nonverbal abilities like reasoning, numeracy, and shape awareness. Higher quality language, such as using more complex words, was also associated with better cognitive ability.
These results suggest you can’t spend too much time communicating with your tot. Playing games, reading books, and singing songs are some easy ways to sneak in more talk time. It could give your preschooler the head start they need!
The researchers also found that families who used positive parenting approaches, such as encouraging self-expression and exploration, had kids who were less restless, aggressive, and disobedient. This study was the largest family home observational study to date.
You might just see a kid kicking a ball, but a new study shows children...Read More »
New research from the University of Pennsylvania and the University of...Read More »
A study out of the University of Massachusetts and the University of...Read More »
- Updated Lehigh Valley Volunteers come to rescue of old Allentown cemetery
- Lehigh Valley Truck and SUV collide in Lehigh Township
- Lehigh Valley Multiple-vehicle crash in Upper Macungie sends eight to hospital
- Berks Fire breaks out at a Texas Roadhouse in Berks County
- Berks Fire crews respond to structure fire in Robesonia
- Berks Water main break leads to boil water advisory in Birdsboro
- Lehigh Valley 10-year-old struck by bullet at Coca Cola Park honored by Allentown Police
- Pennsylvania Man charged in hazing death gets 2 years probation
- Teen with measles may have exposed hundreds at Disneyland
- Why pancreatic cancer is so deadly
- Health Minute: Vaccine could eliminate cat allergies
- Mother who inspired millions in her fight to get a liver dies at 39
- Health Beat: Home births or hospital?
- Doctors find brown recluse spider in woman's ear
- Person dies after lung illness that could be linked to vaping
- Study: Dogs help owners maintain heart health
- Buttigieg rolls out plan to push for mental health care, fight addiction