SHILLINGTON, Pa. — The Berks County coroner has identified the woman who died in a house fire in Shillington last weekend.
Candy Gray, 49, was found Saturday night inside the burning home in the first block of Philadelphia Avenue, authorities said.
An autopsy showed her preliminary cause of death is smoke inhalation, the coroner said. A final cause of death will be determined after toxicology tests and other studies.
The fire was reported shortly before 6 p.m., and crews quickly struck a second alarm as the house was engulfed in flames. Multiple fire companies responded to the scene.
A state police fire marshal is still investigating what sparked the blaze, but the fire is believed to have started on the first floor, state police said.
Investigators said they believe Gray may have become trapped in the second-floor bathroom.