ALLENTOWN, Pa. - October is National Fire Prevention Month, so Allentown firefighters are teaming up with state and local officials to bring awareness to the dangers of carbon monoxide.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 people a year across the country.

Allentown Local 302 President Jeremy Warmkessel says firefighters get a huge spike in calls this time of year for carbon monoxide poisoning because folks start heating their homes as it gets colder out. 

One of the main problems locally is old housing. Older properties have older heating systems and if they don't get replaced when they're supposed to it can create carbon monoxide.

Firefighters at the Hibernia Fire Station on Ridge Avenue gave more than 100 detectors to residents Friday thanks to a donation State Senator Pat Browne was able to secure.

"A carbon monoxide detector is absolutely necessary to give families what they need to be safe," Browne said.

Interim Allentown Mayor Ray O'Connell says the city's fire department responded to approximately 300 carbon monoxide related calls last year.