Officers arrest 18 in operation involving helicopter in Allentown


A search involving a helicopter in Allentown Thursday night led to the arrest of 18 people.

18 arrests were made and two stolen firearms were recovered during the operation, according to an Allentown Police Department news release.

During the operation, officers were flagged down for a report of an armed robbery that had just happened.

Officers were then able to apprehend one of the armed robbery suspects, a 22-year-old man formerly of Baltimore, the release said.

Court records identified the man as Isaiah Clark.

A detective was flagged down by a man bleeding from the head, who said two men had just robbed him in an apartment on the 100 block of North Seventh Street, court records said.

The man said one of the men wore a mask over the bottom half of his face and was armed with an AK-47 style rifle, court records said.

The man said the other man wore a white undershirt, shorts, and had a satchel on his side. An officer saw a man matching that description running from the area. The man was identified as Clark, and was detained on site, court records said.

The man identified Clark as the one who robbed him, adding Clark was not the one armed with the rifle, court records said.

The man who said he was robbed said he met with Clark to sell him marijuana. He said Clark led him to an apartment. A masked gunman then entered the apartment, pointed the gun at the man and ordered him to the ground, court records said.

The man told the gunman to just take his marijuana. Clark then got up, took the marijuana, grabbed the man about his hair and pulled him to the ground, court records said.

The man was then struck by the butt of the rifle stock on his head, causing a large laceration, court records said.

$15 was also stolen from the man, court records said.

Clark faces several charges, including robbery and simple assault.

Clark was taken into custody and was found to have bloody money and a clear bag suspected to contain marijuana, court records said.

The Allentown Police Department carried out the operation with several other agencies, including state police and the Lehigh County District Attorney's office.

The operation was a follow-up to one that was conducted on Aug. 23, in which 28 arrests were made.