HAZLETON, Pa. - A Hazleton man will face charges for setting a fire that spread inside his home. 

Authorities say the occupant of the home on Cedar Street started a fire Sunday on the basement floor to keep warm, because there is no heat in the home.

The fire marshal says it appears the occupant started the fire using wood and lighter fluid.

Officials say he was drinking alcohol and either fell asleep or left the fire unattended, causing it to spread up the basement wall and into the attic.

The 59-year-old man was intoxicated and unable to competently answer questions, police said, and will face charges for recklessly burning.

DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links, images, GIFs, inappropriate language, or memes may be removed by the moderator. Job listings and similar posts are likely automated SPAM messages from Facebook and are not placed by WFMZ-TV.
Comments disabled.