SOUTH HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. - A Berks County woman was killed when her SUV was struck by a freight train as she tried to turn her vehicle around on the tracks.
The crash happened around 2:30 a.m. Thursday on the tracks across Krick Lane, off Penn Avenue, in South Heidelberg Township, police said.
Police told 69 News that one train was stopped and blocking the crossing, leading them to believe that the SUV's driver was turning around to go another way.
As she was doing so, a westbound train struck the SUV and pushed it about a half-mile along the tracks before it hit the stopped train, police said.
The driver, identified by police as Naomi Gonzalez, 41, of South Heidelberg Township, died at the scene.
A witness told police he was stopped at the train crossing and the signals were working at the time of the crash, officials told 69 News.
Rescue crews from Berks and Lebanon counties worked for hours to remove the victim from the mangled vehicle.
"It's an extremely technical rescue operation to get the victim out, because it's a very tight space the firefighters are working in," said Chief Leon Grim, South Heidelberg Township Police Department.
"With the humidity and the higher temperatures out this morning, we're worried about people being hydrated," said Chief Jared Renshaw, Western Berks Fire Department. "We called in two additional companies to assist."
Krick Lane reopened to traffic shortly after 10 a.m. Train traffic along the tracks has also resumed.
The state attorney general's office said Sen. Mike Folmer was arrested and charged Tuesday night.Read More »
- Attack on Saudi oil plant could lead to rise in gas prices
- Free naloxone kits being distributed in Berks on Wednesday
- Fire station fireworks at Cumru commissioners meeting
- Mifflin Park Elementary School innovation class creates buzz
- South Heidelberg playground undergoes major makeover
- Ex-treasurer charged in theft enters rehabilitative program
- Updated Amber Alert issued for girl missing from playground in NJ
- Updated Pennsylvania lawmaker facing child porn possession charges
- Man allegedly commits sexual assault at Whitehall Twp. daycare
- New Palmer Township street closed due to wires down
- Police: Couple in stolen truck siphoned gas from rentals
- State police might handle overnight coverage in Fountain Hill
- Potential downtown development causes tension in Bethlehem
- Phillipsburg Town Council advances rent control ordinance
- Updated Attack on Saudi oil plant could lead to rise in gas prices
- Updated Free naloxone kits being distributed in Berks on Wednesday