READING, Pa. - The Reading Eagle newspaper has been in the hands of the same family for 150 years, but it's closer to having a new owner after it filed for bankruptcy protection in March.
A bankruptcy attorney said Colorado-based MediaNews Group, which is owned by the hedge fund Alden Global Capital, submitted the only qualified bid ahead of this week's deadline. The bid hasn't been accepted or rejected.
"Alden, which owns Digital First, has a long history of buying newspapers and stripping them of their staff," said Jon Bekken, a professor of communications at Albright College in Reading.
Bekken has been looking into the background of the company, which also owns the Pottstown Mercury and Berks-Mont News. He started his search with a newspaper the company owns in Denver.
"The Reading Eagle has about as many staff as their newspaper in Denver, Colorado, has and Denver, of course, is a much bigger city," Bekken said.
Bekken said MediaNews Group tends to target certain markets.
"What they're doing is, they buy papers that have a monopoly in their market, the only 'daily'," said Bekken.
The Reading Eagle Company also owns WEEU 830 AM and The South Schuylkill News.
At Alvernia University, professor Jodi Radosh said she'll use these developments to teach students about the changing media landscape.
"I don't think that journalism is going to die," she said. "In fact, I think it will have a rebirth in some form. I think it will be different. Here at Alvernia, we are seeing a lot of students very interested in public relations, advertising and digital media, and we're actually launching a new digital media and marketing major in the fall."
Reading police have identified the victim of Tuesday's fatal shooting in the 100 block of South Third Street.Read More »
- Neighbors speak out after man is shot and killed in Reading apartment
- Fightins, Sea Dogs final game cancelled in the fifth inning
- Royals unveil sleek new purple sweaters for 2019-20
- More details emerge about fundraiser for boy shot in Reading
- USPS holds job fair to fill vacancies, showcase careers
- After spin-off from Novartis, Alcon reports 2nd quarter loss
- Young heart disease survivor to lead Lehigh Valley Heart Walk
- Senator Casey reads from Mueller Report, supports Biden in Bethlehem Township
- Police: Man burned with acid in Stroudsburg
- Pottstown police have stepped up patrols, community involvement in response to shootings
- Boy makes his birthday about someone else by donating tent to homeless man
- Reading man fatally shot inside city apartment building
- Easton couple says the proof is in the pudding
- Estimate rises to revamp South Whitehall headquarters
- Pottstown Borough Council, neighbors discuss future of Ricketts Center
- LVPC looks to the future with FutureLV