READING, Pa. - Rosalind Basnight sits next to a large photo of her son, 33-year-old Joseph Basnight, on a shaded porch in Reading, in a state of confusion.
"I just don't understand none of this," she said. "At this time, I don't understand none of this. I don't understand who would do this."
The large photo is an effort to replace the image of another, still etched inside her mind.
"I look at the photo again. It was my son, his eyes wide open, blood coming out of his mouth, like he's choking up the blood," Basnight said. "I said, 'Alright, I just wanna leave. I can't deal with it.'"
Police said Basnight's son was shot and killed in an apartment in the 100 block of South Third Street on Tuesday.
Rosalind said she spoke with her son hours before the shooting, and he asked to speak to his 5-year-old daughter.
"He sounded all happy, jolly. 'Oh, I'm up here, chilling. I'll talk to you later.' I said, 'OK, fine,'" she recalled.
Berks County District Attorney John Adams said Basnight was on parole for drug charges stemming from 2013. Basnight's mother and other family members said he served his time and had turned his life around.
"What somebody do in the past is in the past. That was in 2013," Basnight said. "He did his time. He came home. He got a job. He got his own place."
She said she believes the person who killed her son knew him and had been let into the apartment.
"It had to be somebody he knew to open his door for them, yes," Basnight said. "I feel that way and I'm not gonna change my mind."
If you have any information about the homicide, you are asked to contact Crime Alert Berks County.
Now, as Basnight awaits answers, she answers her granddaughter.
"And then she came and talked to me, she said, 'Oh Grammy, he's up in heaven,'" Basnight recalled. "I said, 'Yes, yes, up in heaven,' I said, 'Anytime you need to talk to him, just look up and talk to him.'"
The state attorney general's office said Sen. Mike Folmer was arrested and charged Tuesday night.Read More »
- Attack on Saudi oil plant could lead to rise in gas prices
- Free naloxone kits being distributed in Berks on Wednesday
- Fire station fireworks at Cumru commissioners meeting
- Mifflin Park Elementary School innovation class creates buzz
- South Heidelberg playground undergoes major makeover
- Ex-treasurer charged in theft enters rehabilitative program
- Updated Amber Alert issued for girl missing from playground in NJ
- Updated Pennsylvania lawmaker facing child porn possession charges
- Updated Man allegedly commits sexual assault at Whitehall Twp. daycare
- New Palmer Township street closed due to wires down
- Police: Couple in stolen truck siphoned gas from rentals
- State police might handle overnight coverage in Fountain Hill
- Potential downtown development causes tension in Bethlehem
- Phillipsburg Town Council advances rent control ordinance
- Updated Attack on Saudi oil plant could lead to rise in gas prices
- Updated Free naloxone kits being distributed in Berks on Wednesday