WESTERLY, R.I. - A man who broke into Taylor Swift's beachfront mansion in Rhode Island took his shoes off because he wanted to be polite, according to Westerly police.
Officers who responded to the home just after 5 p.m. Friday said they found 26-year-old Richard Joseph McEwan inside.
Police Chief Shawn Lacey told The Westerly Sun that the Milford, New Jersey, man wasn't wearing shoes. When asked why, he said he was always taught to take his shoes off when entering someone's home to be polite.
McEwan was charged with breaking and entering and willful trespassing. Online court records did not list a defense attorney.
Lacey said his officers have had to deal with several suspicious people at the Berks County-born pop star's home, but this is the first time he remembers someone making it inside.
He said no one was home.
Berks County-based Tower Health and Drexel University have emerged as the winning bidders in an auction of St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia.Read More »
- Set for tax sale, Reading rowhome, others damaged by fire
- Fleetwood street named in honor of late borough councilman
- The final film: Fox East movie theater in Exeter closes
- New LogistiCenter warehouse in Bethel nearing completion
- Berks groups weigh in on effort to stop school tragedies
- Lack of a majority, vote stalls law clerk's hiring in Berks
- Updated Tower Health, Drexel win bid to acquire children's hospital
- Coroner identifies 2 men killed in Monroe County plane crash
- Passenger ejected from sports car in Route 22 crash still in critical condition
- Allentown police to provide update on 'preplanned, proactive operation'
- Updated Former babysitter jailed for sex with 13-year-old boy
- Updated Fleetwood street named in honor of late borough councilman
- Health Beat: Infant walker warnings
- Updated Northampton borough tables purchase of new fire truck
- Final suspect arrested in shooting death of Pottstown man
- Pennsylvania jobless rate stable as payrolls see new record