(CNN) - A sheriff's deputy who was shot this week while waiting at a fast-food restaurant near Los Angeles has died, authorities said Wednesday night.
Los Angeles County Deputy Joseph Gilbert Solano, 50, was shot in the head as he waited for food at a Jack in the Box in Alhambra. He was off-duty and in civilian clothes when it happened, authorities said.
Someone in the restaurant had warned him that he was being followed before the shooting Monday, CNN affiliate KABC reported, citing Sheriff Alex Villanueva.
In a statement Wednesday night, Villanueva announced that doctors worked for two days to try and save him, but he'd succumbed to his injuries.
"The entire LASD Family has been shaken by the tragic news regarding the senseless and cowardly murder," he said. "With a heavy heart, and surrounded by Deputy Solano's loved ones, I had to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do -- announce the passing of one of my deputies."
Law enforcement officials gathered to escort his flag-draped coffin from the medical center to the county coroner's office.
"Deputy Solano was known as a kind-hearted and generous family man, a provider for his mother and an exemplary father to his children," Villanueva said. "We are a better department because of his selfless service."
Police arrested Rhett McKenzie Nelson, 30, in the shooting Tuesday. He was initially held on $2 million bail, but after the deputy's death, that changed to no bail, the affiliate reported. Information on his attorney was not immediately available.
Alhambra is about 10 miles from downtown Los Angeles.
Hong Kong will suspend a controversial China extradition bill, its leader said Saturday, in an apparent bid to quell further unrest and mass demonstrations throughout the semi-autonomous Chinese city.Read More »
- California communities at high risk of fire to lose power
- Investigation says 'state actor' responsible for Gulf attacks
- Harvey Weinstein accusers reach $44M deal over alleged sexual misconduct
- Chinese state media issues ominous warning to US over tariffs
- Populist surge loses steam in European parliamentary elections
- American Nazis protest Holocaust remembrance event
- Daughter testifies in trial of man accused of stabbing his wife to death
- Reading Fair re-branding after last year's low attendance
- Billy's Downtown Diner owner changes the restaurant's look as it celebrates 6 years in Allentown
- Tower Health, Drexel break ground on medical school campus
- Tight-knit community mourns Perkasie police chief who died suddenly
- Police: Man threw pot of boiling water at girlfriend, burning her
- Police pursuit from Wilson to West Easton ends with K9 Rex finding man hiding in the woods
- History's Headlines: Tragedy on the track
- Hunterdon County man pleads guilty to sexual contact with child
- 2 charged in NJ animal cruelty investigation