(CNN) - A sheriff's deputy who was shot this week while waiting at a fast-food restaurant near Los Angeles has died, authorities said Wednesday night.
Los Angeles County Deputy Joseph Gilbert Solano, 50, was shot in the head as he waited for food at a Jack in the Box in Alhambra. He was off-duty and in civilian clothes when it happened, authorities said.
Someone in the restaurant had warned him that he was being followed before the shooting Monday, CNN affiliate KABC reported, citing Sheriff Alex Villanueva.
In a statement Wednesday night, Villanueva announced that doctors worked for two days to try and save him, but he'd succumbed to his injuries.
"The entire LASD Family has been shaken by the tragic news regarding the senseless and cowardly murder," he said. "With a heavy heart, and surrounded by Deputy Solano's loved ones, I had to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do -- announce the passing of one of my deputies."
Law enforcement officials gathered to escort his flag-draped coffin from the medical center to the county coroner's office.
"Deputy Solano was known as a kind-hearted and generous family man, a provider for his mother and an exemplary father to his children," Villanueva said. "We are a better department because of his selfless service."
Police arrested Rhett McKenzie Nelson, 30, in the shooting Tuesday. He was initially held on $2 million bail, but after the deputy's death, that changed to no bail, the affiliate reported. Information on his attorney was not immediately available.
Alhambra is about 10 miles from downtown Los Angeles.
Two members of the Proud Boys have been convicted on multiple charges for assaulting members of Antifa during a fight last year.Read More »
- Jeffrey Epstein, others sued over alleged sex ring
- NY man arrested at JFK wanted to kill US troops
- Auto industry icon Lee Iacocca dies at 94
- Boeing's 737 Max crisis could stretch into next year
- Woman, 3 children found dead near the Mexico-Texas border
- California communities at high risk of fire to lose power
- Updated Pottsville man, 61, killed in crash involving motorcycle, truck
- Updated Tractor-trailer crash on I-78 sends driver to hospital
- Updated DeSales University helps new students break the ice with Character U challenge
- Updated Wishing well, memorial established at Exeter high school
- Updated IronPugs take the field at Coca-Cola Park Monday
- Updated Montgomery County man went to Hollywood to act in movies. Now he is making one
- Police: Woman leaves 3 kids in car and hits the casino floor
- Updated Future of Pottstown community center up in the air after Olivet announcement
- Legendary broadcaster Jack Whitaker got his start in Schuylkill County
- Emmaus Borough Council gets update from vision committee