DAYTON, Ohio (CNN) - The victims of the mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, started being laid to rest on Saturday, nearly a week after they were killed while enjoying a night out.
Services for Beatrice N. Warren-Curtis, Derrick Fudge, Nicholas Cumer, Logan Turner, Saeed Saleh and Monica Brickhouse were all scheduled to take place throughout the day.
Services for Lois Oglesby and Thomas McNichols were slated for Monday, CNN affiliate WHIO reported. Plans for the funeral of Megan Betts, the gunman's sister, have not been made public.
All nine of them were killed when a man armed with a .223-caliber high-capacity rifle unleashed a barrage of bullets early Sunday morning. He was killed by police officers soon after he began firing.
Crowds of people turned up for Fudge's visitation Saturday morning, according to WHIO. Family members at the funeral remembered the 57-year-old as a family man and fisherman who was passionate about caring for those in need by collecting donations with the Salvation Army during the holidays, the station said.
Some in the audience didn't even know Fudge, WHIO reported, but came to support his family.
Cumer was scheduled to be remembered in Washington, Pennsylvania, near where he grew up and attended high school, according to CNN affiliate KDKA. The station reported there was a steady stream of family and friends who attended his visitation on Thursday and Friday.
When he was killed, the 25-year-old was one week away from finishing his internship with a cancer treatment center at the Maple Tree Cancer Alliance, and was expected to graduate from St. Francis University in Pennsylvania with his master's degree in exercise physiology.
CNN's Jamiel Lynch contributed to this report.
A woman who says she was raped at age 15 by Jeffrey Epstein is suing his estate, his alleged madam Ghislaine Maxwell and three unnamed defendants, saying they conspired to maintain and conceal a sex trafficking ring.Read More »
- NY man arrested at JFK wanted to kill US troops
- Auto industry icon Lee Iacocca dies at 94
- Boeing's 737 Max crisis could stretch into next year
- Woman, 3 children found dead near the Mexico-Texas border
- California communities at high risk of fire to lose power
- Harvey Weinstein accusers reach $44M deal over alleged sexual misconduct
- Allegiant to establish aircraft base at LVIA, creating 66+ new jobs
- Updated Driver with stolen gun, whiskey in car allegedly leads police on chase
- Pa. Game Commission recommends deer feeding ban
- Updated Police: Masked man in hazmat-type suit robs bank in Oley
- Updated Alvernia students, staff to begin year by volunteering time
- Man allegedly ties victim to chair, sexually assaults her
- Truck's trailer erupts in flames; brakes to blame for fire
- Entrepreneur with Down Syndrome: Teamwork, acceptance creates more effective workplace
- Health Beat: Stem cell Pisces trial for stroke recovery
- Books for Bikes in Berks: 30 students earn new set of wheels