CNN World News

Retired Red Sox player David Ortiz is out of intensive care, his wife says

Upgraded condition comes two weeks after shooting

(CNN) - Former Red Sox player David Ortiz is out of intensive care two weeks after a gunman shot him in his native Dominican Republic, his wife says.

Ortiz remains at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and is in good condition, Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement issued via the Red Sox.

A gunman shot Ortiz in the lower back on June 9 while he was sitting on a crowded bar patio in Santo Domingo. The bullet passed through Ortiz, perforating his intestines and internal organs. It then hit his friend, TV talk-show host Jhoel Lopez, in the leg.

Following surgery in the Dominican Republic, Ortiz was flown to Boston, where he underwent a second operation.

Authorities in the Dominican Republic say he was not the intended target of the shooting.

A friend of Ortiz -- who shared a table with him at a patio bar in Santo Domingo -- was the target of the bungled hit, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez Sanchez said last week.

A total of 11 suspects are in custody and two more are on the run.


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links, images, inappropriate language, or memes may be removed by the moderator.  Job listings and similar posts are likely automated SPAM messages from Facebook and are not placed by WFMZ-TV.

Allentown, PA 18102

81°F

Scattered Clouds

TONIGHT

  • 40%

This Week's Circulars

Latest from the newsroom