US and World News

Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump made their final pitches to voters in the same parts of Pennsylvania at roughly the same time. They spent the last full day of the presidential campaign in a state that could make or break their chances. In Pittsburgh, Trump delivered what his campaign aides described as his closing argument after his rally at Madison Square Garden was derailed by crude and racist jokes. He was then going to Michigan. Harris was en route to Pittsburgh while Trump was speaking there. She’s holding her final rally in Philadelphia later in the evening. Read moreHarris and Trump's final push before Election Day brings them to the same patch of Pennsylvania

Updated

Some Republican-led states say they they will block Justice Department’s election monitors from going inside polling places on Election Day, pushing back on federal authorities’ decades-long practice of watching for violations of federal voting laws. Officials in Florida and Texas have said they won’t allow Justice Department election monitors into polling sites. And on Monday, Missouri filed a federal lawsuit seeking a court order to block Justice Department officials from observing inside polling places. Texas followed with a similar lawsuit seeking to permanently bar federal monitoring of elections in the state. Read moreSome Republican-led states refuse to let Justice Department monitors into polling places

Updated

The presidential campaign comes down to a final push across a handful of states on the eve of Election Day. Kamala Harris will spend all of Monday in Pennsylvania, whose 19 electoral votes offer the largest prize among the states expected to determine the Electoral College outcome. Donald Trump plans four rallies in three states, beginning in Raleigh, North Carolina, stopping twice in Pennsylvania with events in Reading and Pittsburgh, then ending in Michigan. Read moreThe Latest: All eyes on Pennsylvania as candidates spend final day campaigning there

Updated

Unionized factory workers at Boeing are voting whether to accept a contract offer or to extend their strike. The walkout has lasted more than seven weeks, shut down production of most Boeing passenger planes and cut off a key source of cash for the company. A Seattle-based district of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers is recommending that its members approve the Boeing offer on Monday. It would raise pay rates by 38% over four years. Workers also would receive ratification and productivity bonuses. However, Boeing didn't meet their demand to restore a pension plan that was frozen nearly a decade ago. Read moreBoeing machinists hold contract vote that could end their 7-week strike

Updated

South Korea's military says North Korea has fired multiple short-range ballistic missiles toward its eastern sea as the country continues its weapons demonstrations ahead of the U.S. presidential election. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff says the missiles were launched early Tuesday and flew about 250 miles, but didn’t specify how many were fired. The launches come days after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised a flight test of the country’s newest intercontinental ballistic missile designed to reach the U.S. mainland. North Korea claimed that the Hwasong-19 it tested on Oct. 31 was “the world’s strongest ICBM,” but experts say the solid-fuel missile was too big to be useful in war. Read moreNorth Korea fires multiple ballistic missiles toward the sea ahead of US election

Updated

Continuing storms in eastern Spain that led to massive flooding last week and killed over 200 people, mostly near Valencia, are dumping rain on Barcelona. Monday's downpour prompted authorities to suspend commuter rail service. Spanish Transport Minister Óscar Puente said on Monday that he's suspending all commuter trains in northeast Catalonia, a region with 8 million people, at the of civil protection officials. Mobile phones in Barcelona screeched with an alert for “extreme and continued rainfall” on the southern outskirts of the city. In Valencia, the search goes on for bodies in houses and the thousands of wrecked cars strewn in the streets, on highways and in the canals that channeled last week’s deluge into populated areas. Read moreHeavy rains in Barcelona disrupt rail service as troops search for more flood victims in Valencia

Updated

Spain’s royals, prime minister and other politicians were greeted by crowds hurling mud and debris on Sunday when they tried to visit Paiporta, where over 60 people perished. It was their first visit to the area devastated by floods last week. Felipe VI repeatedly insisted that his bodyguards let him get close to talk to the angry residents. He was praised by many for his composure. But political experts also say the monarch may have given the impression that he actually has a say in the management of a crisis that doesn't look like it will be resolved anytime soon. Read moreSpain's king stood his ground under a mud barrage. What will the iconic moment mean for his reign?

Updated

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says officers “acted within policy to protect themselves and nearby fans” while fighting with fans during Saturday’s Florida-Georgia game at EverBank Stadium. Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters released body-camera footage and details regarding two incidents from the game that resulted in viral videos. Jacksonville Mayor Donna Deegan called the videos “disturbing.” The sheriff's office responded after a review and says “while the use of force can appear intense, our investigation determined that the officers in both incidents acted within policy to protect themselves and nearby fans.” Read moreJacksonville Sheriff's Office: Officers 'acted within policy' during fights with fans at game

Updated

Retired Eagles center Jason Kelce has apologized after grabbing the phone of an unruly fan and spiking it to the ground before the Ohio State-Penn State game last weekend. Kelce was attending the Big Ten matchup between the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions in State College, Pennsylvania, when the incident occurred. Video on social media showed him walking through a crowd near Beaver Stadium and fans asking for photos and fist bumps when one fan began to heckle him. He said on ESPN Monday night that “in a heated moment, I decided to greet hate with hate” and that “I fell short this week.” Read moreJason Kelce apologizes for cellphone incident at Ohio State-Penn State before Bucs-Chiefs game

Updated

Cheers and sobs of relief broke out in a federal courtroom in Kansas as dozens of people whose life savings had been embezzled by a bank CEO learned federal law enforcement had recovered their money. Seventy-year-old Bart Camilli said he couldn't describe the weight lifted from his shoulders when he learned he'd be getting back nearly $450,000 in lifelong savings. In August, former Kansas bank CEO Shan Hanes was sentenced to 24 years for embezzling $47 million from customer accounts — money prosecutors say was sent to scammers. The victims learned they would get their money back at a restitution hearing Monday. Read moreA courtroom of relief: FBI recovers funds for victims of scammed banker

Updated

Israel says it's terminated the agreement facilitating the work of the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, the main aid provider in Gaza. It appears to be a first step to implement legislation passed last month that would sever ties with the agency and prevent it from operating in Israel. Israel says the agency, known as UNRWA, has been infiltrated by Hamas, while UNRWA denies the allegations. Despite growing pressure from the United States and others in the international community for a cease-fire in Gaza and Lebanon, intensified Israeli strikes against the Hezbollah militant group are expanding beyond Lebanon’s border areas. Israel is also fighting a seemingly endless war against Hamas in northern Gaza. Read moreMiddle East latest: Israel ends agreement with UN agency providing aid in Gaza

Updated

New York State Police have suspended a trooper without pay after launching an investigation into his account of being shot and wounded while trying to help a motorist on a Long Island highway. The decision was announced Monday after officers executed a search warrant at Trooper Thomas Mascia’s residence as they probed the circumstances of the shooting he reported Oct. 30. State police also canceled an alert issued for a car purportedly linked to the shooting.  A prosecutor says authorities are investigating inconsistencies in the officer's account of the shooting. Police have said there is no video footage of the incident. Read moreNew York State Police suspend a trooper while investigating his account of being shot and wounded

Updated

Juan Soto, Corbin Burnes and Willy Adames are among 13 free agents who have received $21.05 million qualifying offers from their former teams. Pete Alonso, Alex Bregman and Max Fried also were given the one-year offer before Monday’s deadline. Players have until Nov. 19 to accept. If they do, they will be under contract with their 2024 club for another season. If they decline and sign elsewhere, their new team must forfeit draft picks and their previous organization will receive at least one draft pick as compensation. In other news Monday, ace pitcher Gerrit Cole decided to remain with the New York Yankees rather than become a free agent. The sides were working on a revised deal. Read moreSoto among 13 free agents to receive $21.05 million qualifying offers. Cole staying with Yankees

Updated

Gerrit Cole gave up his opt-out right and will remain with the New York Yankees under a contract that runs through 2028 rather than become a free agent. New York’s ace initially exercised his right to terminate the $324 million, nine-year contract, which has $144 million and four years remaining. That decision triggered a two-day window for New York to add a $36 million salary for 2029, which would void the opt out. Given the short time frame after the Yankees’ World Series-ending loss Wednesday, both sides extended the bargaining period until 5 p.m. EST Monday, the deadline for option decisions in the collective bargaining agreement. Read moreAce Gerrit Cole gives up opt-out right, stays with New York Yankees rather than become a free agent

Updated

The Department of Justice says federal agents have arrested a Tennessee man who they say was trying to destroy a Nashville electrical substation. Skyler Philippi is accused of attempting to use a drone loaded with what he thought were explosives to destroy the Nashville energy facility. According to court documents released Monday, the 24-yeaar-old is accused of planning to attach several pounds of C-4 explosives to an aerial drone for the attack. Philippi is accused of working with undercover FBI employees on the plan. He was arrested on Saturday and had a federal public defender appointed to represent him on Monday. An email requesting comment was sent to the attorney. Read moreMan arrested after federal officials say he sought to destroy Nashville power site