HARRISBURG, Pa. - Pennsylvania's casinos have lost a bid to shut down online lottery games that they say are too much like casino gambling, just days before the state's first casinos launch their own online gambling portals.
Friday's decision in Commonwealth Court is a victory for the state lottery, although the casino owners' 9-month-old lawsuit will continue.
Lottery officials say the games are in accordance with the 2017 state law that authorized them, but the casinos argue that some online lottery games violate it because they simulate slot machines and casino-style gambling.
On Monday, state regulators will allow Parx Casino and Penn Nation's Hollywood Casino to launch their online gambling portals to patrons statewide as part of a three-day test.
Nevada, New Jersey and Delaware are the only other states that allow online casino gambling.
- Pennsylvania State Police seek horses for mounted unit
- $50K in Pa. state funding to go towards vaccines, outreach amid hepatitis A outbreak
- New program aims to help improve research into wildlife diseases
- Fall fun: Corn Cob Acres set for start of 10th season
- Child found on the side of roadway in Delaware County
- Gov. Wolf signs executive order aimed at addressing gun violence
- Firefighters went in to burning home with no protective gear to save man in Berks
- Police: Man wearing hard hat, respirator robs bank in Oley
- Allegiant to establish aircraft base at LVIA, creating 66+ new jobs
- Updated Hackettstown police: McDonald's customer paid with dollar bill that had been lit on fire
- Music video, documentary to focus on 'Scrapple' and its cultural impact
- Updated Spelling error has students waiting a little longer for their Northampton High School yearbook
- Updated Youth center helps nearly 200 Phillipsburg students get back to school supplies
- Updated Website helps teachers get school supplies for students
- Updated City Center Allentown fighting back after spotted lanternflies swarm downtown buildings
- As school year approaches, officials reminding drivers of school bus rules, regulations