HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - Legislation to further clamp down on powerful painkiller prescriptions in Pennsylvania has the state Senate's approval, although Democrats tried unsuccessfully to put limits on an exception for major surgery.
The Senate voted unanimously Wednesday, nearly three years after lawmakers passed a package of legislation to limit opioid prescriptions to fight growing addiction and overdoses.
The bill imposes a seven-day limit on opioid painkiller prescriptions to all adults, expanding seven-day limits that 2016 laws put on minors and emergency room patients. However, it maintains exceptions in those laws, and adds one for major surgery.
The bill now goes to the House.
Pennsylvania was among the first states to put limits on opioid prescriptions. The National Conference of State Legislatures says states have moved aggressively and most now have limits.
A former Penn State fraternity house manager charged in the hazing death of a pledge from Hunterdon County, New Jersey has learned his fate.Read More »
- Pennsylvania House wins appeal in atheist prayer-policy suit
- What global impacts could wildfires in Amazon rainforest have? 2 local experts explain
- Woman tried to snatch 4-year-old in Lancaster emergency room, police say
- Girl authorities say was abducted has been recovered safely
- AGs reach agreement with phone companies to fight illegal robocalls
- Gov. Wolf says state is working to address toxic chemicals in drinking water
- Volunteers come to rescue of old Allentown cemetery
- Truck and SUV collide in Lehigh Township
- Multiple-vehicle crash in Upper Macungie sends eight to hospital
- Fire breaks out at a Texas Roadhouse in Berks County
- Fire crews respond to structure fire in Robesonia
- Water main break leads to boil water advisory in Birdsboro
- 10-year-old struck by bullet at Coca Cola Park honored by Allentown Police
- Man charged in hazing death gets 2 years probation
- Shooting in Reading sends one man to hospital
- Community cleans up Allentown elementary school ahead of new school year