BANGOR, Pa. - A Slate Belt teen has been charged with animal cruelty after a video of him allegedly abusing his dog went viral.
In the video that has been viewed over 130,000 times on Facebook, Kyler Fox of Washington Township appears to toss his dog, Buddy, an Australian Shepherd mix, down an embankment and into a creek.
The dog then climbs back up out of the water.
Humane Society police officer Barbara Morgan issued Fox, 18, a summary cruelty charge. Morgan said when she talked to Fox about the video he didn't seem concerned about potentially hurting Buddy.
"He said the dog likes it…I personally do not think the dog liked that,” Morgan said.
The video was originally shared by animal rights advocacy group, Reformers- Advocates for Animal Shelter Change in NJ on Facebook.
Organizer Colleen Wronko said the video was taken by Fox's ex-girlfriend and she shared it in hopes of getting justice for the dog. She said she didn't expect it to go viral and added it is the page's most watched video to date.
"It's a pretty stupid thing to do. It's one thing to throw your dog into a pond, swimming pool…but this had debris, it was down a hill, it wasn't a very bright thing to do,” Wronko told 69 News over the phone.
69 News reached out to Fox and his family, who said they have no comment.
Fox will be issued a court date later this month.
Police in Hazleton are stepping up their enforcement of nuisance dirt bike and ATV riding on city streets.Read More »
- Tour at 4: Pocono Mountains
- Berks DA: Doctor over-prescribed opioid pills to patients
- Homicide charge dropped against man accused in fatal shooting of friend
- Authorities find drugs, guns after searching house in Monroe County
- Fire destroys home in Polk Township
- Man charged after traffic stop turns into drug bust in Carbon County
- Missing Allentown boy with autism found by his former teacher
- Dirt bike rider sought for driving erratically in Hazleton, motorcycle confiscated
- Lopatcong Emergency Squad to disband
- History's Headlines: Skyjack of 1972
- Some showers and t-storms Saturday make Sunday the better and brighter weekend day
- Members of the 69 News team race for charity during NHRA weekend at Maple Grove
- Route 422 ramp in Berks finally open ahead of busy weekend
- Police: eagle statue on Allentown monument leaning downward, but is tied down securely
- Expert explains where Friday the 13 superstition may come from
- Drivers, fans revved up for weekend of racing at Maple Grove