LEHIGH TWP., Pa. -- What they thought would be the opening night of their 2020 season was short-lived after police say Becky's Drive-In was not abiding by Governor Wolf's shutdown orders.
Management told 69 News Friday night it was not an act of defiance.
"We have nothing but respect for Governor Wolf and it's something we would never do this if we weren't confident we would be able to provide people with a safe environment," said Assistant Manager, Chris Deppe.
They said they believed they had reached out to the necessary channels for permission to open.
"What was advised to us was to reach out to our state senator and also to local law enforcement and we did both of those things and both of them gave us the go-ahead," said Deppe.
Not long after the opening night story aired on 69 News, Scott Fogel, chief of Lehigh Township Police, notified us the owners at Becky's Drive-In never contacted him. They issued Becky's a verbal warning Friday night, stating the drive-in was operating in violation of the governor's order for nonessential businesses to close.
"I had officers go over just to touch base with them to find out if they had an exception or if there was any type of waiver that had been given to them which there had not been at that point," said Fogel.
The chief added he understands people's frustration but says if they let one business go, others will expect the same.
"We have to follow what the law is at this time," he said.
We reached out to Becky's for comment on their decision to close but our calls went to an automated voicemail message from management.
The recording said, in part, "we regret that we have to share this very disappointing information with all of you. Please keep your fingers crossed that we can see each other soon. Thank you for your patronage."
Becky's will remain closed until Northampton County is moved from the red to yellow phase, which is slated to happen on June 5.