ELVERSON, Pa. - Over a dozen employees were on the job at Vixen Hill Manufacturing, a company that makes gazebos and exterior products in Elverson, Chester County when they say a spark set fire to sawdust and caused an explosion.
"The whole building shook. There was a lot of smoke. I saw it was on fire, so I called 911," said manager Ian Macbride, with Vixen Hill Manufacturing.
Multiple area fire crews responded, led by the Twin Valley Fire Department.
"We immediately called for a second alarm due to the heat and the time of day to get more manpower here," said Chief Jason Brooks with the Twin Valley Fire Department.
"We were able to establish a water supply on the main street."
Fire crews say two-thirds of the facility sustained damage and it continued to burn well after the explosion.
"Yes, it is still burning underneath the roof line where it collapsed but it's not extended, at this point it's under control," Brooks said.
Both fire crews on the scene and at the manufacturing facility continue to say how fortunate it is that no one was hurt.
"There were some guys relatively close to it. There might have been a truck damaged as well," Macbride said.
"An employees truck was parked near the bag house but thankfully nobody was injured."
County and state officials are investigating what caused the spark.
The Philadelphia 76ers have honored Charles Barkley with a statue along their Legends Walk outside their practice facility in Camden.Read More »
- Philly to enforce salt warning rule at chain restaurants
- Mini horse and goose pair settle in to new home in Montgomery County
- Philly police: See a spotted lanternfly? Don't call 911
- Dog treat company shows what pups and pints can have in common
- Suspect charged in fatal fentanyl overdose of Berks man
- Waffles and Hemingway, mini horse and goose pair, get new home
- Missing Allentown boy with autism found by his former teacher
- Dirt bike rider sought for driving erratically in Hazleton, motorcycle confiscated
- Lopatcong Emergency Squad to disband
- History's Headlines: Skyjack of 1972
- Some showers and t-storms Saturday make Sunday the better and brighter weekend day
- Members of the 69 News team race for charity during NHRA weekend at Maple Grove
- Route 422 ramp in Berks finally open ahead of busy weekend
- Police: eagle statue on Allentown monument leaning downward, but is tied down securely
- Health officials growing concerned about vaping as hospitals see more patients with lung conditions
- Expert explains where Friday the 13 superstition may come from