HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. - It's been 18 years since September 11, 2001, and this is the first year students born after that infamous day are attending college.
At Centenary University in Hackettstown, NJ, students say they want their classmates to remember 9/11 as more than just a tragic event read about in history books.
On the campus quad, students recreated part of the 9/11 memorial in New York and pledged to do community service in honor of the victims of the terror attacks. They also wrote cards to local first responders.
"They [freshman] don't remember 9/11. They don't necessarily understand what it means. This is a great way to pass that tradition along to them," said organizer Rachel Danitz. "This is the first year we are making it a large event…it is different. Definitely when you are talking to someone who didn't experience it. You have of kind of impart that impact to them."
Kenny Long, a junior, says although September 11 isn't a memory for him he does think fellow teens and 20-somethings understand what the day means.
"It is easy to look up a video online and understand how detrimental it was to our nation and how we move forward past it," he said.
Centenary students will also commemorate the day by volunteering, spreading out across New Jersey on the National Day of Service, Friday September 13 and Saturday, September 14.
A $30,000 reward is now being offered for information about 5-year-old Dulce Maria Alavez.Read More »
- 10-year-old in critical condition after crash in Hunterdon County
- NJ police seek man wanted for assault on law enforcement
- Amber alert issued for missing 5-year-old girl in New Jersey
- Phillipsburg Town Council advances rent control ordinance
- Flemington man pleads guilty in sex assault of a child
- Lopatcong Emergency Squad to disband
- Updated Tower Health, Drexel win bid to acquire children's hospital
- Coroner identifies 2 men killed in Monroe County plane crash
- Updated Officers arrest 18 in operation involving helicopter in Allentown
- Allentown police to provide update on 'preplanned, proactive operation'
- Updated Reward increased to $30K in case of missing 5-year-old NJ girl
- Updated With taxes paid, county calls off sale of Bieber property
- Updated Lehigh Tunnel to have single-lane patterns at night for 4 days next week
- Updated ESU student from Bethlehem honored for performing Heimlich Maneuver on park services employee
- Gathering in Reading part of global focus on climate change
- Man, 27, dies after car hits 3 trees