When the world already recognizes you as the greatest athlete in your sport, the Olympics serve more as a coronation than competition.
Those athletes — Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles and Allyson Felix, to name a few — already are in the record books, the Olympic endorsement pipeline, and the collective minds of Americans who regularly watch and enjoy the Summer Olympics.
So, who's got next? Who will swim, run or jump out of your screens and into your advertisements, social media timelines, talk shows, reality competition TV shows and more once the Olympics conclude?
Here's a look at some potential breakout stars for Team USA, listed in alphabetical order, as the Tokyo Olympics take place from July 23 through Aug. 8.
As featured on
The Norwegian women's beach handball team was fined after players opted to wear shorts instead of bikini bottoms during a European championship game.
The U.S., ranked No. 1 in the world and the favorites to win gold, were riding a 44-match unbeaten streak. What's the loss mean for their chances at gold?
The Tokyo Olympics opening ceremonies are less than a day away. Here are the latest headlines from Japan, plus a look ahead at what's to come.
- Humidity: 92%
- Cloud Coverage:22%
- Wind: 4 mph
- UV Index: 9 Very High
- Sunrise: 05:57:16 AM
- Sunset: 08:18:35 PM
Partly then mostly sunny, breezy, and turning less humid during the day.
Clear, crisp, and comfortable.
Mostly sunny and comfortable.
- Overturned tractor-trailer causes closure on RT 222 in Bern Twp.
- Local groups continue to help those in need as federal moratorium on evictions set to expire
- President Biden made his trip to the Lehigh Valley all about buying American products, but can that really be done?
- Storm brings down trees in Kempton
- Merck second quarter sales up from 2020
- Montgomery County officials recommend indoor masking at school
- Tornado watch for the *potential* for a few stronger storms through this evening
- Montgomery County man charged in severe beating of 2-month-old son
- Reading police take man accused in shooting death into custody
- Positive Parenting: Parents help kids with language